欧美日韩性大香蕉|精品无码成人视频|永久久久久久久久|日韩加勒比偷拍网|婷婷伊人久久蜜桃|亚洲理论中文字幕|中文无码黄色Av|三级一区二区三区|超碰在线精品专区|国语对白一级A片

World / US and Canada

Pentagon sending special force to conduct raids in Iraq, Syria: Carter

(Xinhua) Updated: 2015-12-02 09:16

WASHINGTON - US defense chief Ash Carter said on Tuesday the Pentagon was deploying a specialized operations force which would "over time" conduct unilateral operations in Iraq and Syria as part of US military campaign against the Islamic State (IS), also known as ISIL.

"These special operators will over time be able to conduct raids, free hostages, gather intelligence, and capture ISIL leaders," said Carter here in a congressional hearing, adding that the creation of the specialized operations force was a result of "full coordination" with the Iraqi government.

"The raids in Iraq will be done at the invitation of the Iraqi government and focused on defending its borders and building the ISF's (Iraqi security forces) own capability," Carter said.

Meanwhile, Carter said, the force would also be in a position to conduct unilateral operations in Syria.

"That creates a virtuous cycle of better intelligence, which generates more targets, more raids, and more momentum," he said.

Facing mounting criticism for its Syrian policy, the Obama administration had already announced its plan to send fewer than 50 US special operations troops to assist rebels in Syria.

Carter's announcement came amid the White House's repeated objection to sending ground troops to Syria and Iraq.

Despite its dismissal of having "boots on the ground" fighting the IS, the White House had argued that sending special operations forces was different from large-scale, ground combat operations.

Trudeau visits Sina Weibo
May gets little gasp as EU extends deadline for sufficient progress in Brexit talks
Ethiopian FM urges strengthened Ethiopia-China ties
Yemen's ex-president Saleh, relatives killed by Houthis
Most Popular
Hot Topics

...